Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My 19 Year Old is in College

My 19 year old son is almost done with his freshman year of college at UNC Charlotte.  He has done remarkably well for his first year.  I am not talking about his grades.  He has done well with his grades, better than he did in middle and high school.  But he has also done well in the rest of freshman year.  

He achieved the Freshman 15. For many that means, as a freshman you gain at least 15 pounds.  My son has lost 15 pounds.  He always did things the opposite of what he was expected to do.  It is not because he didn't receive enough food.  I make sure that he has plenty of foods to eat.  My son decided to become a vegetarian.  He has walked to plenty of classes and plays lacrosse on the school's club team.  

He has a roommate and a very small dorm.  He has kept is a lot cleaner than he had any of his rooms since he was little.  He has learned how to do college style laundry.  Only wash what really needs to be washed and wear some things more than once. Just wish he would have practiced that all those years I did his laundry.  

He has been able to rely on others instead of always thinking he needs to be in charge of everything.  When he came home for Christmas break his car died.  He is saving up for a car while in college.  Can we say how proud he is for this and so are we.  

He has made a variety of friends, hasn't partied with drugs and alcohol.  He does not smoke and he participates in dorm activities.  This is good as they are trying to get the students off on the right foot by providing substance free activities for the students.  

He has only skipped a handful of classes.  He turns in his homework.  He shares with others the bounty he has and offers his room to those who need it.  He is a great kid and a wonderful young man.  

I was afraid that he would be struggling in college as I was afraid I had done too much for him.  He is able to take care of what he needs to take care of and still needs me to help him out on a few occasions.  I have to admit that I love this about him.  He is independent but still needs his mom.  

Yesterday he found out he was accepted to transfer to another school.  Only thing was, his younger brother wants to go there without it being a school his brother went to.  He wants to be independent of his brother.  I certainly hope my youngest wins this point.  But I am not sure that I am ready for my 16 year old to be old enough to go off to college.  It was hard for the first one, it will be worse for the second one.  

Taking Care of the Written Word,
Dannielyn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment