Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What Makes Me Feel So Lucky?

Redbox is in the midst of a promotion for Lucky to Have Friends Like You.  I wanted to participate in this contest because I feel I found out what makes me feel so lucky.  By participating in this promotion, I have had time to really think of what makes me feel lucky.  I was not as surprised by my answer as I thought I would have been. 


I work as a freelance writer and felt that I needed to do something to 'get out of the house' once in a while.  I took my writing skills to a local food pantry and have been heavily involved with this organization ever since.  I have had a great deal of exposure to the most desperate individuals in Henderson County, NC.  I have given coffee and snacks to homeless individuals.  I have filled boxes for families struggling to put food on the table.  I have been working diligently updating intake processes, training volunteers and organizing the food pantry.  I have been knee-deep and up to my elbows in the food pantry business.  And I have been blessed.  


There are a number of volunteers at the food pantry that are also clients.  I have been able to build up their self-esteem because of the contributions they have shared.  I have been busy listening to their stories and offering hope, help and my heart.  I want to share why I feel I have been lucky, but my story has not been nearly as bad as one volunteer/client I have gotten to know.  


This volunteer/client has been clean for only 16 months.  She had been in a deep drug fog for many years and never really noticed some of the simplest things we take for granted.  She lives in the North Carolina mountains in a run down cabin, no electricity, no water and very little food.  She and her husband did own quite a bit of property around the cabin but it was sold to pay for her bail.  


She has been volunteering at the food pantry in order to have some contribution to society.  She has been a huge influence in the food pantry for all that she has been willing to do for us with a smile and a open heart.  Just last week we were looking through some clothing donations for some dresses for her to wear to church.  She would hold up a dress and I would tell her what I thought.  I would say simple things like 'that color looks wonderful on you'.  'Oh, that dress makes you look beautiful.'  I didn't think anything of what I was saying because it was what I would tell any friend I was 'shopping' with when they tried on a dress.  This volunteer/client started to cry.  I asked her why, and she struggled to tell me.  'I have been clean for 16 months and for the first time I had someone tell me that I was worth it.'  I needed her to explain.  No one had ever told her she was worth wearing a pretty dress.  No one had ever told her she was worth being sober.  No one had ever told her that she was worth going to church and being loved by God.  


I feel lucky that my life did not turn out like her life.  I feel lucky that I am able to go home to my warm home with running water.  But more than those general things, I am lucky I know her.  I feel lucky that I was able to see how much kind words mean to someone.  I am lucky to hear from her how much God means to her.  I am lucky to know her.  I know I said that before, but the good fortune is still there.  She has told me more about what matters in life.  She has told me what it feels like to be alone in a world where no one is able to reach.  She has told me what it means to be able to enjoy the sun and rain.  She has told me what it is like to love life.  For that, I am the luckiest person because I know her.  


“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and redbox blogging program, for a $25 Walmart gift card from redbox. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” 


Taking Care of the Written Word, 
Dannielyn

No comments:

Post a Comment