Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Volunteering

Have you ever found yourself in the middle of too many volunteering opportunities?  Opportunities is the proper word to use because there are so many of us that need something in our lives but do not feel there are any opportunities available.  There is, just look in any direction around you and you will find volunteer opportunities that you did not realize you are seeing.  Let me explain.

I am a full time freelance writer.  In between my freelance work, I care for my family and my house.  I am involved via my sons, sporting events/teams.  I do volunteer writing for agencies and I am a nearly full time volunteer for a local food pantry in my community.  But there is more.  I will break it down for you so you can also identify all that you do for others.

As a freelance writer, I am able to do blogging opportunities for several different agencies and groups.  I write blog posts for the CDC (Centers for Disease Control). I write blog posts for an Autism advocacy group. I write blog posts for Wishpot.  I write blog posts for Hendersonville, NC.  I write blog posts for various businesses.  I do not receive pay from these agencies/businesses.  I may receive thank you gifts, but not pay.  That is a volunteer opportunity that I participate in sharing information to others on behalf of agencies.  It is fully my choice to do so as a matter of public service.

I also spend a great deal of time securing samples and freebies to donate to the local food pantry.  I am donating my time to do this as a way to share information and needed items to those in need.

I voluntarily secure samples and freebies for the pregnant moms in our local church and make "Mommy Go Bags" before their due date.

I make college care packages for my son and for some of his friends in school.  While his care package does not qualify for a volunteering opportunity, his friend's packages do.

I volunteer to help raise funds for my youngest son's lacrosse team.  Since my oldest son has been on that same team, this is my fifth year accomplishing this task.  I have two more seasons after this one.

Until recently, I volunteered in the church nursery.

I volunteered to be a Buzz Mama for Mabel's Labels.  While I do receive great thank you gifts for spreading the news about Mabel's Labels, I love to share this amazing company with others.  In fact, this volunteering goes even farther as I share some of my freebies from this company with a friend whose son will be having surgery in April.  The labels will help her keep track of her son's belongings while he is in and out of the hospital for three weeks.  We are in North Carolina and his surgery is in Ohio.

I volunteer at The Storehouse the local food pantry in our community.  I started just a few hours a week and now I am there nearly for full days.  However, a good deal of 'volunteer' time takes place at home as I am responsible for social media and program development.  Quite a bit of time since The Storehouse is only open three days a week 9-2pm.

I have also been involved in a number of opportunities such as members of a variety of boards, developing and teaching a co-op preschool, hosting small groups, training classes and so much more.

So, I am sure that you are wondering when I am going to come out and demand everyone bow down to me.  Well, it won't be coming any time soon.  This is not to build my ego, it is to show you how easy it is to volunteer to help others without realizing you are volunteering.  The care packages do not feel like a volunteering opportunity but a necessity for my son's friends to have the items they need when they do not have spare money.  The Mommy Go Bags started as an idea to help a friend be prepared.  The Storehouse volunteering started as a way to get out of the house once in a while.  Freelance work can be very lonely at times.

I am sure that you volunteer a lot more than you give yourself credit. But why do I or you decide to volunteer?  What do we get out of this need to volunteer?

I received a package of Signs of Life cards from Turning Point Ministries a few weeks ago.  I looked at these cards when I first received them and thought how interesting the cards were but did little else.  I looked at them more closely later on and saw somethings that I wanted to share.

Whether you are a Christian or another faith or no faith at all, why do you volunteer?

Here's some of what I would love to have others see in my volunteering effort:
My words and actions evidence Christ's indwelling.
My faith is expressed through works.
I am a source of light in a dark world.
Every moment of my life is a living moment with God.
I am conscious of influencing those around me.
Those who witness my life see Jesus.
The imprint of my Christian life will remain for eternity.
I am willing to get my feet dusty in the streets of my community.

How many of those do you agree with or see in your life?

Taking Care of the Written Word,
Dannielyn

No comments:

Post a Comment