Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What is it with today's baby toys?

I have seen a few commercials lately that makes me wonder just what is going on with baby toys these days. I understand parents are busy, but are we as parents to busy to play with our children showing them how to use their imaginations? Every toy that was shown today was a remake of a toy my boys had 17 to 20 years ago. The toy companies remade these toys with lights, sounds, and actions that take the place of moms and dads and kiddos playing with them making their own noises, actions, and all that good imagination stuff.

I looked at some of these toys and think that the children today are worse off than my boys were without all the buzzes and whistles and lights on the toys. They laughed as they played with the toys in ways the toy makers never imagined. They had a blast when they had the freedom to make the toys do what ever they wanted and we did not have to look for batteries, listen to blaring sirens, buzzing, and other obnoxious noises.

I understand that the times are a changing and hey it was almost 17 to 20 years ago when these babies of mine were playing with them, but.....ok, hold a second, I understand how old my kids are, but gosh, when you write they were babies 17 to 20 years ago, I don't know if I can handle that.

I guess when I get to be a grandma, I can influence what toys they get to play with, at least at my own house when they visit OFTEN. And you know what, I am going to make sure they have old fashion toys that we can play with together and make our own noises and decide what they are going to be that particular day.

Taking care of the written word,
Dannielyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment