Friday, June 15, 2012

Taking Care of the Written Word

I do not think I ever explained why I use the phrase "Taking Care of the Written Word' as my tag line. I have been thinking about it quite a bit lately as I have seen a number of odd comments on many websites that I have read on a regular basis.

First, I use "taking care of the written word" because I am a freelance writer. That makes sense. I write therefore, I take care of the written word for my clients. I do all sorts of freelance writing jobs from website content, Facebook and Twitter postings, product reviews, ghost writing, and editing services to name just a few areas. I enjoy writing and the tag line seemed perfect for my business.

Secondly, I think that when we write something to anyone whether a note, card, tweet, status update, comment, or blog post we MUST be willing to accept responsibility for our words. I for one believe with my whole heart that what I write I accept responsibility for no matter what. Yes, there are times when I state my opinion and find opposition to that opinion, but I accept full responsibility for my opinion, right or wrong. I have apologized for my words if they have offended others but it does not change the opinion I expressed. I have admitted when I wrote something that was wrong, but I make every effort to make sure that what I write is correct as far as I can tell.

Third, as a part of 'taking care of the written word', I am careful about the comments that I allow on this site. I have marked as 'spam' certain ads that are added as comments to posts that have nothing to do with posting it is attached to because it is simply 'junk', 'spam', and waste of time. So if you have posted a comment like that to any of my posts, it has been marked as spam because it is not relevant to the posting. Now, if I posted something about a particular product or service and you have something related to that, I give you the opportunity to tag along on the posting. However, you post a spam comment about unrelated things and it is deleted immediately.

Along this same lines, if you leave a comment that is a mean spirited comment that has nothing to do with the post it is marked as 'spam' as well. I have little tolerance for angry, poorly written (in anger), and unrelated comments. As the owner of this blog, I have every right to delete, publish, mark as spam, or moderate the comments. I take full advantage of this right. I will not post your anger-filled, hate speech on my blog. Since May I have received a number of these types of comments from my 'former' neighbor. I am doing him quite a favor as I will not demonstrate to the internet audience how anger-filled, ignorant, mean-spirited and damaging his comments are to him and his wife. If I published his last comment, his identity would be out there for all to see. His name would be edited into the post I wrote yesterday for all the world to access. His name would be listed in the labels that allow people to search for him by name and see the post describing his behavior. In my posting yesterday, nothing of descriptive nature was given for him, our previous address, or the name of the landlords. However, if I post his comments which he dared me to do, I would be identifying him and his atrocious behavior. A bully is a bully is a bully and the behavior of the neighbor since he moved in is one of a classic bully. His behavior is passive-aggressive and intends to bully me with facts that are so far from the truth.

You see, last night I slept well. I enjoyed working in my house and outside the house. We enjoyed hanging out in our yard and we did not have to tolerate mold, smells, or our old neighbors. Last night I lived well and this morning, even addressing this issue, my blood pressure is at a normal level, my breathing normal, my stomach is NOT upset, no signs or symptoms of anxiety. When I feel it beginning to creep into my body or mind, I take a deep breath (I can because there is no mold, septic, or nasty carpet smells) and remember how much better our life is to be away from that house and that neighbor.

You may want to find a new manner of dealing with your anger dear neighbor. Your hate-filled comments are very telling of the problems you are struggling with and you may need to seek some help. Not everyone will be so tolerant of your behavior as my husband and I have been.

I take full responsibility for my words,

Taking care of the written word,
dannielyn

No comments:

Post a Comment