Thursday, June 14, 2012

Living Well is the Best Revenge!

Last week our family moved yet again. The house we lived in had a number of problems that the landlord refused to address properly before and after we moved in. We had just experienced a horrific experience with a previous landlord that made me fearful of saying anything negative about the condition of the house. Yet, there were blatant and horrific issues with the house, but I was afraid to say anything about it. If the situation was not what it was that Friday morning when I arrived to get the keys to the house, I would have refused to move in. The condition of the house that morning was not the same condition the house was when my husband and I agreed to move in. It was nothing as we agreed and we had no option but to move in that day.

In February of this year the two story side of the duplex was rented and the new neighbors had two small yappy dogs, a Turrets Syndrome style yeller in the morning, he also slammed the door constantly, stood in our yard in front of our windows, hung three wind chimes in front of my bedroom window, had guests stand in my yard by my windows at a house warming party calling me a "B" because I asked them to move away from my yard and windows taking their cigarette smoke with them. They hollered at midnight on the other side the bedroom wall scaring the daylights out of me as I was startled awake. The Turrets syndrome yelling every morning between 6:15 and 7:30 am also startled me awake. The stomping up and down the stairs, slamming the dryer and washer doors at midnight and early morning only added to the lack of sleep, anxiety, and depression that I was experiencing. I know, I could take a nap during the day to make up the sleep. No, I couldn't. The dogs would bark at every little noise, she was home during the day and would sit in her bathroom and talk loudly to the dogs and I could hear everything. The dogs would attack the shared wall, bark, and when her husband came home he would slam the door right outside my bedroom door.

I wrote a note asking them to take care of the dogs, chimes, terrets, and the standing in our yard. Their answer was to write a note back (I never read it), write a note to the landlords (I never read it the copy they gave us), take down the wind chimes, CONTINUE TO SLAM THE DOORS MORE THAN BEFORE, AND HANG A BRIGHT YELLOW DON'T TREAD ON ME FLAG RIGHT OUTSIDE MY BEDROOM WINDOW!

The flag was put up to annoy me. However, it had the opposite effect. It made their seeing into my window more difficult. I could also sit on my porch and they could not see out their door directly at our porch. It provided more privacy than we had before. The night we left they took it down and when my husband and son went back a couple hours later to get a few last cleaning tasks done it was down. We also found out that they block our second exit from the house with 'junk'. We could not open the door and in the event of a fire, we would not have been able to exit our home.

By the time we moved I could not eat hardly anything at all. Despite the fact that I need to lose a bunch of weight, I needed to be able to eat. I had begun gagging and dry heaving every time I felt any bit of stress and I was constantly nauseous. I was always angry and agitated. I had anxiety attacks all the time, hated being in the house but couldn't go outside because of the neighbor situation. My life was deteriorating to such a degree that I was a wreak inside and outside the house. The house condition on the inside made me ill (mold and other gross issues) and the neighbors made being in or out of the house impossible to tolerate.

The neighbors believe they ran us out of the house and that is true, they did. But thank God they did. The home we moved into is not perfect but by golly, it does not stink, the carpet does not make you gag, the bedrooms do not feel damp and stink, there is no mold in the kitchen, bath, living room, etc. We do not have rude and inconsiderate neighbors who get off on tormenting others in passive/aggressive manners. Our lives are not at risk in the event of fire by blocking our second exit. I realized when we moved in here that living well is best revenge. They may be happy they 'ran us off', but those neighbors are living with a home that floods when it rains, has mold growing every where in the walls, base boards, and everywhere. Those neighbors have to deal with landlords that do very little to the homes and complain every moment they are asked to fix anything. The neighbors are paying the same or more than we paid for rent every month (depending on the final reduced rent amount advertised). We had 1600 ft and they had 708 ft home. Ya know, just got to laugh about that one!

But we are happy here. We are away from the neighbors that tormented us, the home that was physically harming us and we are living well. We are happy to be away from that home and no matter what evil parts of my mind wanted to do something to get back at them, I feel great satisfaction that the best revenge is living well. And we are!

Taking care of the written word,
Dannielyn

No comments:

Post a Comment