Friday, June 15, 2012

Depression, Anxiety, and Anger

I researched a case study on depression and anger which was enlightening as there is a controversy as to whether anti-depressants will work on an individual with mild to moderate depression. The situation involved a college student who had realized he was depressed but was unable to determine the source of the depression. The student could not motivate himself to get up and go to classes or anything else in his 'life'. He was sad and confused as to why he was depressed.

There are many times when we find ourselves feeling unmotivated and sad because we are feeling so unmotivated. We often do not think that we are depressed when we feel sad and unmotivated but we could be in the midst of a round of depression. There is help for depression and with that help one can come back from living in a world that feels apart from the rest of our family and friends. This case study spoke about how 'sometimes' anti-depressants are not needed, changes in the individual's lifestyle is often the best plan of treatment. I agree.

The case study also mentioned anger. Anger is often a response when someone is unable to fully form what they feel in a manner that is productive. I understand this concept well. Over the last few months I was severely sleep deprived and suffering from anxiety issues that deteriorated the quality of my life. I was very angry and I certainly met the criteria for moderate to severe depression. Yesterday I wrote a post about Living Well is the Best Revenge and it was a creative outlet to express how different I feel today as compared to a week or month(s) ago. This is to say that sometimes when you are in a difficult situation it is best to remove yourself from that situation and the relief of the symptoms is nearly immediate. The night we moved from the house I began to feel the symptoms of anxiety and depression begin to lift from my body. It was not all of the symptoms, but the ability to relax took over slowly. Over the days, more of my ability to relax and avoid the anxiety symptoms increased. I do not feel as tense, anxious, angry, and depressed.

Anger is an emotion that makes all the sense in the world when we are in the middle of the emotion, but when we look back on our words and actions during an angry moment or episode we are left with many surprises. We say and do things that are completely 'off the wall' and outside our normal behavior. We show a side of ourselves that we would normally be ashamed to do in front of others. We believe we are justified in our words and actions only to be shown later how embarrassing it is in the light of day. We become obsessed with our anger and the righteousness of our anger and then we see how much of a 'butt' we have become.

I am glad to put the chapter of our lives behind us from the 'last house, landlord, and neighbors' as that is a situation filled with physical and emotional issues that was damaging our family and my emotional state. As I stated yesterday, we are living well and that certainly is the best revenge and the easiest. You see, now I am able to look back and reassess what I need to do to avoid this type of situation from happening again. I am protecting my sanity by letting go of the anger that was very present every moment of every day while living there. I am able to breathe without having an anxiety attack when I think of the situation I lived in and that is a great improvement. The anger is gone and in its place is thoughtful reflection. I can live each day without an anxiety attack and that is certainly a benefit to letting the anger go. This is due to the fact that I know the truth of our situation and in that truth is peace. I certainly hope that the neighbors can let go of their anger before it causes them any more damage or trouble. I for one can attest that the anger is physically and emotionally draining and bad for you.

Taking care of the written word,
Dannielyn

No comments:

Post a Comment