Friday, May 14, 2010

A Lady of Strength, Proverbs 31 Series part Three

Back when we were little girls pretending to find the man of our dreams and planning our beautiful wedding, we had no idea just how hard marriage was really going to be. We thought it was beautiful clothes, fun activities, deciding to have a baby and ta-da here was our beautiful baby with beautiful hair and never making a sound except for what the pull string made the baby say.

Imagine our surprise when we found out that marriage often is boring, hard work, struggles, and our children, if we are lucky enough to be able to have them. Our children are nothing like our little dolls we played with and care for so tenderly.

Take a few minutes to write down what your expectations of marriage and motherhood and then write down what you life is really like right now. Are you surprised by your thoughts and feelings regarding your expectations and your realities?

In Proverbs 31, verse 10 in the message starts off “a good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds”. The first verse already left me feeling a little hopeless. Who can find a good wife? I asked myself, why I would want to take any time and become an excellent wife if no one can find one. That is the human and selfish side of me. I had to really look hard into my heart and ask myself what the writer was really saying to me. What did the writer want me to experience or take away from the verse?
I had determined that the writer was telling me that I needed to hear the statement clearly. I was not going to be an excellent wife just by being a wife. I needed to take those words and hide it deep into my heart. I needed to believe those words with my whole being. I cannot be an excellent wife just because I am a wife. I need to study and pray and strive to be the wife my husband could call excellent.

I needed to be determining what the qualifications are that would deem me to be an excellent wife. I know that in the upcoming verses I would be receiving instructions on how the Lady of Proverbs 31 was perfecting her role as wife, mother, Christian and community member. But right now, I needed to accept that becoming a Lady of Proverbs 31 was a lifelong, day in and day out, 24/7 process that I needed to take on. I don’t know if I am strong enough to do that process all on my own, but I willing to try. I am willing to take what I need from those verses and pray about how to apply to my life those principles. I am willing to look deeply into my heart and look at the shortcomings I suffer. I am willing to redirect my thoughts and my deeds and move them closer to the path I am to take.

Taking care of the written word,

dannielyn

http://takingcareofthewrittenword.com
http://dannettfreywrites.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment