Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Geek Dad, a Great Book for Dad, Kids and Grandfathers

I was given the book "Geek Dad" by Ken Denmead to read and review.  I was not sure what to expect from this book and was very excited to have the opportunity.  I dived into the book and was surprised by all of the great activities that could be done with children.  My boys are 15 and 18-year-old.  I looked at this book first as a mother of teen boys and then I ventured into that great unknown of grandparenthood.

I will be the first to admit that I am not ready to be a grandmother yet.  While I am older than my mother when she became a grandmother, I am just not there yet.  Neither are my boys.  I have one just entering his first year of college and one a sophomore in high school.  But I thought about that time when we would have little grandchildren come to this home and visit with me and grandpa.  This is where I felt this book was absolutely perfect.  Grandpas!

I asked a friend of mine who has four children all grown and three of the four married and three granddaughters.  I asked if she felt this book would be good for grandpa to find something fun and educational for his granddaughters and him to bond while completing an activity.  She looked over the book and found some she wanted to have grandpa try.

We got together and I learned about what this grandpa thought about this book and the activities that are found inside.  I found the granddaughters at the house and they shared with me how much fun this time was for them.  The girls are two, three and four.  The first one they tried was flying a kite at night.  Then they made cuff links for their dads. A coloring book for the two year old was made and the three and four year old made the dot to dot books.  Then they made an ABC's at Grandma's House book.  This ABC book was a variation that they made up from the one in the book.  It made more sense than Superhero's since he was working with girls.  The loved going from room to room to find out what Grandma had for each letter.

Ok, the activities took four days to complete, but that was alright since the girls were with them all day and night for four days.  They loved it, grandpa loved it, grandma loved it and the parents loved having some great memories for their daughters with their grandpa.

So, I guess I would have to say that the name of "Geek Dad" does not do the book complete justice as dads and grandpas that are not really geeks can have great fun with this book too!

Taking Care of the Written Word,
dannielyn
Copyright Dannett Frey, Taking Care of the Written Word, 2010 all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment